Thursday, May 24, 2012

Is This What Hospitality Looks Like?

Last night we took one of the kids we really like from the neighborhood to church with us. He has been hanging out with us a lot and sharing meals with us. This seems to mean a lot to the kids, and he seems to be happy with it, too. It's not hard to stretch one of our meals to fit an extra kid. Dragging him along to church was only logical. His little sister was recently diagnosed with a lifelong illness that won't kill her, just put her in the hospital a lot and make her life mildly miserable. You can tell he is trying to stay out of the way.
Tonight, after much begging and pleading for weeks, I let a few of the kids come in to the house to watch a movie with us. Elijah passed around iced tea and the kids were fascinated by the popcorn popper churning out a wave of salty goodness. I have been bad at keeping house since we got married, and because of that, as well as because of our generally introverted natures, Lee and I almost never have anyone over. But when Elijah and Olivia started getting social a little bit ago, I realized that I needed to improve that or I would be punishing him for my own faults. Tonight was a good start, I think. We watched Scooby Doo 2 and laughed a lot.

An interesting incident happened in our neighborhood today. It was dramatic and a little scary, but it ended well. It involved an angry, tipsy neighbor yelling at kids and then coming to my home to apologize to me and my kids and telling us that his anger didn't apply to us. I documented the details to myself but I'm not going to make them public. The whole thing is a little too ugly for public record. I just want to remember that it happened.

No comments: