Friday, May 18, 2012

Pinchot


Once when we were kids, Dad got pulled over for speeding while driving on the way home from Pinchot Park. He was going 13 miles over the speed limit because he wasn't paying attention to the speeds as he passed through a town. He was very polite to the officer, apologized and said he wasn't paying attention because he was chatting with his wife. The officer let him off with a warning. I learned to be polite to police officers, not only because it's the right thing to do, but also because you are more likely to get off with a warning. No point to the story, I just want to record one of the 100s of lessons my Dad taught me that are written on my soul.


We went to Pinchot Park today, Lee and I. Actually we went yesterday, too. The temperature and air quality are such that just getting there takes all worries away. Yesterday the children and I took off our shoes and splashed in the water - today, Lee joined us. There's a metaphor there but we'll let it go for now.






They have been simple, beautiful days that define us, simple beautiful days that I want to define their childhoods. Hoping for a summer full of these.

No comments: