Thursday, June 14, 2012

My Hands Are Dirty, Too



Julius had a snack of homemade waffles that I had thrown into the freezer for quick toasting. He tired of them quickly and asked if he could go outside. As he walked out the door, he kindly adding that Gabe could finish his snack. So Gabe ate them, but then his hands were quite sticky. He hates that. So he came to me with his hands open and his eyes wide.

And I LOVE it when he does that. From Gabe, it is an act of trust, believing that I can and will clean his hands for him. And as my heart was glowing I thought, well maybe Jesus loves it, too, when I bring him my dirty hands.

*

Tonight my friend Lisa and I talked about random things related to taking care of children. She was watching her kids play in my yard while I was scrubbing down my house. And when she left, she said it was nice talking to me, and that always before she just kept to herself and only talked to family.

That is mostly true of me, too. Introverts do. That both makes me smile and terrifies me. She is taming me and I am taming her, like the Fox in Le Petit Prince. And you are "responsible forever for what you have tamed." Or, to put it less dramatically, if she ever moves, which she is likely to do eventually, I will be sad. And so will Elijah, because her son is one of the better friends he has ever made.

No comments: