Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Thanks to Lee

This morning (wednesday) was the only time where we had enough time to string together to get to the social security office to get my card. So we had to get up in time to get there when it opened. Luckily I had all the papers I needed (we have a safe where we keep birth certificates and whatnot) and had my paperwork filled out alread, so it didn't take long. As Lee had figured, though, my name was already correct with the SSA, so we shouldn't need a copy on file with HACC. HACC was claiming my name didn't match, so they were holding back my financial aid.

We had to zip from Carlisle back to HACC so I could have my meeting with my Advisor. She was great, and very pleased that I had already registered my classes. If I want to get into teaching, I have to maintain a 3.0 GPA. So I am glad I decided to take only two classes this semester and see how it goes. Then we got my HACC ID (yay for student discounts) and visit the Financial Aid office.

The woman at the financial aid desk informed me flatly that they would not accept the temporary SS# verification. Lee jumped to my aid, and asked to speak to the director. The director spent a few minutes in his secret office before coming out and informing us that the reason the names didn't match is because my name was wrong at HACC - not at the social security office. This is what Lee has been saying all along. They were going by my original application in the year of... yup, 2000. When I was deciding whether to go to school of marry Lee. They took the hold off my account.

I am glad that I did marry Lee - he always stands up for me. He is my knight in shining armor.

So far on-line classes are amazing. As previously mentioned I am taking Math 051 and Education 101. Education 101 is run like a message board - that's right, a natural environment for me. If I'm going to chat on-line, I might as well get college credit for it, right? We actually will have to give a group presentation on-line in a chat room. Even the exams for that class will be on-line. Amazing? Yeah. that's not to say it won't be hard - I have to do a big annotated bibliography (you mean I have to read? oh no!) and interview a teacher,.If I can't find one at work, I bet you any of the teachers at Emmanuel would give me an interview. Mrs. Clarke or Mr. Post or Mr. Darco would be fun.

Then there's Math. The whole class is an on-line application. I already did my 50-question homework. the computer checks it for you as you go, and you can fix your answers. It won't give you the answers, but it will tell you what you are doing wrong. With Math, you really can learn by doing. The practice questions are a little easy, because they will catch all my sloppy errors, so I am taking the practice tests instead. They will show me all my mistakes, after the fact instead of as I go. Then it marks what I'm not so good at and gives me practice questions to build my skills. This is such a great way to learn Math. It's actually fun!

Anyway, now Lee is at school so I am running Algebra and laundry at the same time. the kids are playing Caillou pre-school software on their computer, which Nan got them at the Dollar Tree for a dollar. As soon as Lee gets back, I have to go to work. This is all a little crazy, but my ADD brain thrives on it. When I'm done with this, the kids and I are going to vacuum the house and then do some of their school work. Love!

3 comments:

Laurel H. said...

By the way, you do know that I am an online adjust instructor--I teach college students online?

Rachel Bostwick said...

I had no idea! How cool is that!

Michelle said...

Rachel, thanks for sharing about your online classes. Kaila might be interested in taking at least some of her classes that way too.

Laurel, I didn't know you taught college students online either. What do you teach? (Kaila's hoping it's math)