Friday, January 11, 2008

"Mommy, I can't wait to die."

I don't want to forget the conversation I had with the kids tonight. Boo wanted to talk about heaven. I don't know why or where it came from, but we talked about it. He asked me whether we'd eat there, and Olivia asked me if we could take one of her books up to give to Grandma Beaver. Yes, I told them we could eat, but no we could not take our things. Jesus would give us new clothes and new food. Elijah asked if I was afraid to die. I said no. Then he asked if I would be afraid if bad guys were killing me. I said yes, a little bit, but I didn't really need to be afraid, did I? he asked me if we would "be alive again". I said, yes, like Jesus we would have to die and then like Jesus we would come alive again.

Elijah's world is very neatly divided into Autobots and Decepticons, good guys and bad guys. Autobots follow Jesus, Decepticons don't. We talked about how bad guys can not come into heaven, but they can tell Jesus they are sorry and then they don't have to be bad guys anymore. He seemed like he got that, he even acted it out, pretending to be a bad guy for a moment and telling Jesus he was sorry.

Olivia wasn't talking much, but she curled up into my lap and listened to her brother, hard. Every now and then, she would chime in with a "me, too", statement. She loves and looks up to her brother, despite her bossy nature. I just noticed the other day that she calls him "Lijy" which no one else does except maybe my mama.

But it was that opening statement that really cut me. What do you say when your son says he can't wait to die? The apostle Paul said "to live is Christ, to die is gain," so obviously Boo has it right.

7 comments:

jennifaye said...

I love your little people. Yep, they are livy and lijy to me... and they are so deep. Their souls are drawn to God.

Mama

jennifaye said...

I love your little people. Yep, they are livy and lijy to me... and they are so deep. Their souls are drawn to God.

Mama

Michelle said...

From the mouth of babes! In a Touched by an Angel episode (from dvd) last night was about how children can hear the angels until the world drowns out the voices. We can learn much from our children.

Kaila said...

I nominated you for an award!

Kate said...

Just found your blog and I love your play list.

Kate said...

Just found your blog and I love your play list.

Unknown said...

The irrational belief in an afterlife simply devalues the only life we do, and ever will have.