Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Kids

Today one of the little boys in the neighborhood asked me if Lee and I ever have fights. I responded in the affirmative, and he told me that his mother and father were fighting. He said they fight a lot. He then said that he has a theory that when he turns 11, his parents will get divorced and they will leave him and his sister alone. I assured him that that would never happen, but he didn't believe me. I told him that he matters more to his mother than anything else in the world, which I know to be true.
-
If I were a painter I would paint this moment. Gabriel has just discovered that Superman is on his pajamas, just the symbol. With delight, he runs to show his father. "Dad, I pooperman!" Lee lifts the sleeve of his right arm and shows Gabe his Superman crest tattoo. " Me too, Gabe, look." Gabriel's eyes widen. He points to the crest on the shirt then back at his father's arm, back and back again. They share a moment of mutual happiness and  appreciation that transcends age or lack of language. Moms get to have these moments all the time even if we do sometimes take them for granted. I have to say it's even cooler to see your husband sharing one.
-
I had a wisdom tooth out today. Well that was interesting. There was no pain but the feeling of having a tooth wrenched out is still disturbing. My imagination is just too good sometimes. All I could think was: what if I wasn't numb and I was being tortured. It could be just awful.

And then it was over and the pain I've been dealing with for weeks and weeks and putting off fixing was basically gone. Just recovery now, no need for extra pain meds. We went to the grocery store, just me and the four kids, and I appreciated how much easier it was to be patient when I was not in pain. Just one more thing that I can be grateful for.
-
Julius turns 4 today. I don't know where we would be if he had not been born. On the one hand he is just a rambunctious 4 year old. he has a tendency to hit his brother just for fun and is going to stage where he argues with everything I say. on the other hand he is a small cherub who wraps his arms around my neck and kisses me impulsively at least three times a day. He's funny too. does the silliest things that just grab you sideways. if you ever read this, Julius, I love you so much.


No comments: