Sunday, March 11, 2007

Too Early, but

Ezekiel 33:11 (NAB)
As I live, says the Lord GOD, I swear I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked man, but rather in the wicked man's conversion, that he may live. Turn, turn from your evil ways! Why should you die, O house of Israel?


Fr. Weiss used this verse in his homily today. It wasn't in the readings, but he used it as part of his message. I love it. It struck me so strongly that I needed to look it up. I guess I needed to be reminded that God takes no pleasure in our downfalls. Why? It's not like I wasn't raised to believe this. I just... forgot, I guess. It's surprisingly easy to get caught up in the fact that God annihilated every stubborn idol-worshipper, and forget that he still loved them. Oh, yeah, since that includes me, I guess it's a good thing. The only thing God takes pleasure in is the conversion of our hearts.

In Catholicism, the word "conversion" has different connotations than it does in Protestantism (or baptistism or whatever the proper -ism should be). Sometimes you pray for the conversion of someone who is already a Christian or even already a Catholic. It just seems to mean the changing of ones heart, especially towards God.

I was really close to falling back asleep today instead of going to Mass. But I went, and the walk was beautiful and I was so glad I went. (I always am, which is why I keep going back.) Elijah on the other hand, no matter how tired he is, all I have to say is the magic words - "Do you want to go to church with me?" and he pops tall. I have literally never gone without him.

No comments: